Monday, March 7, 2011

My Use Of Carac – Fighting Skin Cancer


Fluorouracil cream and topical solution are used to treat actinic or solar keratoses (scaly or crusted lesions [skin areas] caused by years of too much exposure to sunlight). Fluorouracil cream and topical solution are also used to treat a type of skin cancer called superficial basal cell carcinoma if usual types of treatment cannot be used. Fluorouracil is in a class of medications called antimetabolites. It works by killing fast-growing cells such as the abnormal cells in actinic keratoses and basal cell carcinoma.

During the first few weeks of treatment, the skin lesions and surrounding areas feel irritated and look red, swollen, and scaly. This is a sign that fluorouracil is working.

In my case, after using this cream for 12 days, I am starting to look like Homer Simpson’s boss, Charles Montgomery Burns. And it is becoming so sensitive to the touch even wearing a hat is now not comfortable.

So, as I make my way through airports, fly to far flung places and meet folks during the this and the weeks to come while trying to stay focused on what I do for a living, I expect to feel like something out of a horror movie.

But, this is the best course of action for me and if I scare a few people, tough. I am standing up to cancer…